Friday, December 6, 2013

Gravity: Sandra Bullock Vs. Nature

I recently went to the movies with my dad. He's Russian and he loves American movies. So, he asked me if I wanted to see Gravity with him starring Sandra Bullock. It had gotten good reviews from The Rolling Stones Magazine and The Boston Globe. To me it was a basic main character vs. nature plot. Sandra Bullock is an emotionally unstable astronaut, which doesn't make sense in reality because NASA wouldn't let emotionally unstable people into space....but, anyway, a lot of bad events keep happening to her and she ends up all alone and has to battle against outer space. I have to say that it was kind of uplifting at the end but Sandra Bullock didn't give enough emotion for my liking. The special effects are basically THE movie. Bullock does portray a strong(ish) main character but it was altogether just "meh". My favorite character was Paul Newman he added comic effect which is always good. All in all, it was an alright movie. Keep watching and have a good day :)

3 comments:

  1. This movie seemed kind of odd, it's nice to get someone else's perspective. There are plenty of movie reviews but ultimately the movie's success is decided by the regular viewers, like you or me. I hope you keep posting about other movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I didn't miss much, I was debating whether or not to go see it but then I decided that it wasn't really my thing. I liked that you were honest and didn't focus too much on the positives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda have to disagree with this, for me the movie's biggest strength was its tense subtlety and engaging atmosphere, I thought the acting was solid and moving at times. What did you find lacking in Bullock's performance? Also, you might want to elaborate on the "protagonist vs nature" trope so all readers understand what you mean by it. Looking forward to more reviews!

    ReplyDelete